Cerda is a town of 5,700 inhabitants, located in the Palermo province at 274m asl between the upper Imera and Torto rivers. It was the dominion of various noble familiess, notably the Ventimiglias of Collesano, the Bardis and the Spanish Santostefanos and Cerdas.
Small agricultural centre, it is paritcularly renowned for producing agricultural products such as artichoks. In Cerda there is also developed handicraft: there are wood and iron works. Interesting are also local embroideries.The village once was called Tavernanuova. There are only few news about origin of its current name. In fact it is thought that it is a surname of an owner of the place. Till 1453 it has been possession of Ventimiglia of Collesano and later, for about two centuries, of Bardi family.
In 1663 it was acquired by noble family of Spanish origins: Santostefano who was able to get the popular duty of feud. Giuseppe Santostefano became the first marquise of Cerda.
One of the oldest buildings of Cerda is Baronial Palace. Interesting it is also the Cathedral Church placed at the end of the main square and built between the XVI and XVII centuries.
On its right it is possible to admire La Mantia’s house built in the XVIII century.
A special historic event is bound to this small town: the Targa Florio, the most ancient motor-race all over the world, which has run since 1906 and derived its name from homonymous agricultural industrialists who became its sponsor.